Friday, January 30, 2009

KVK on YTV

So up until around August of last year ('08) I was working back at Studio B, Character Designing for a show called "Kid vs. Kat". The pilot premiered back in November on YTV. It has now begun it's regular on-air run. The next episode is Jan. 31 @ 8:30am.



The show was great to work on. I had previously worked with one of the directors back in the Mimi days and I got a chance to work with a number of other familiar faces, along with some new ones.

It took a bit to get back into it because, where animation is concerned, I had only been freelancing on development projects for the ladder of the last 2 or 3 years and focusing mainly on my books. But oddly enough it was fun getting back into the mix and the daily grind. Following the lead of the other CD, Steve Wolfhard, who was on characters for George, Ricky Sprocket, and KVK Development before this gig, made my 9 to 5(ish) re-insertion much easier. Thanks Wolfy!

Although I use a tablet for coloring, it was my first time drawing on a Cintiq. The mere idea and concept behind the Cintiq(basically, going paperless) is everything I vowed to stay away from. Fear not tree huggers, I'm not referring to the green side of it, I'm talking about the "Old school to New school" thing. It took me a while to get the hang of it and I actually spent my first few weeks drawing on paper, scanning and re-drawing the designs on the Cintiq. Needless to say, that didn't last.

Here are some poses I did of Coop for the storyboard artists and animators to reference. It gave me a chance to ease my way back into it while Wolfy started the first few episodes.



It was a challenge and sometimes limiting to do dynamic poses while making them flash friendly, but I still enjoyed it.

I'll post some more KVK smoores later.



Peace


All images in this post copyrighted.

No comments: